While waiting for grant funds to be released by the budget impasse in Springfield, Butterfield Park District has continued planning improvements to our neighborhood parks. The park district held a previous public input opportunity on May 17th where residents of the neighborhoods served by the Butterfield Park District have had an opportunity to give input to the park district’s landscape architects/parks planners, as well as the Director of Parks and Recreation, on how they want the funds spent on improvements specifically to Kensington Park.
Suggested ideas for improving Kensington Park include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Add fitness equipment to the park for both youth and adults;
- Resurface, repair and improve the trails throughout the park;
- Discuss possibly installing basketball courts;
- Improve and expand the garden areas and add more trees;
- Present concerns or ideas regarding the use of the shelter;
- Consider the possible addition of low-level security lighting in parts of the park.
The meeting takes place at the Glen Briar Park Recreation Center, 21W730 Butterfield Rd. on Thursday, June 23rd at 6:30 p.m. Yours truly, President Doug Elwell, will be in attendance if you wish to meet and discuss this and other local issues.